Starozhilovo Stud (1830-1836)
Composition of the estate:
— Industrial building,
— Manor house,
— Training stable,
— Smith shop,
Historical and cultural property: cultural heritage sites of federal importance
The construction history of the industrial estate complex is associated with the name of the Russian nobleman, and railroad entrepreneur Paul G. von Derwies (1826-1881). In the 1860s, he bought the Starozhilovo estate on behalf of his wife Vera Nikolaevna. The estate had been previously owned by Courtier Olga Orlova. In the 1860s, the first housing and industrial buildings of the estate complex were constructed. All of these building were made of wood except the estate church. In 1860-70s, a general planning and functional structure of the estate was apparently designed. Residential development of the estate was formed on the gentle slope of the right bank of the Istya river, south-west to the centre of the village. It was based on the territory of a big park with a path system, a cascade of ponds, houses and a house church. Industrial buildings were grouped on the flat left bank. Both zones were linked by a river bridge.
In 1874, Mikhail von Derwies became a new owner of the estate where he lived with his family until 1881. In 1881, he left Starozhilovo and the estate was inherited by Pavel Pavlovich von Derwies (1870-1942) who became one the richest landowners of Ryazan Governorate. He owned the estate until 1917. Since 1890, the most important period of development had begun in Starozhilovo. Since 1890, Pavel von Derweis had been buying horses and building a stud, serving in Grodno hussar regiment, and in 1898 he retired. At that time, the focus was to build stone industrial constructions. From 1891 to 1897, he built a new stable yard, including a stud with a manege and auxiliary buildings: a cartwright, a smith shop, a watertower, a house, a granary, etc. A group of production buildings was constructed nearby: a cowshed, a dairy plant, a distillery and an ice storage house.
In 1918, the estate was nationalized. In Soviet times the stud continued to function. Since January 1920, Ryazan cavalry courses had been moved there. One of its students was future Marshal of Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov.
Combined tourist infrastructure:
— the Museum of Stud’s History, the Baron von Derwies Museum, the Fyodor Schechtel Museum
— a hotel complex
— a hippodrome
— a health resort area (hippotherapy, koumiss therapy, cosmetology, etc.)
The estimated cost of the object’s restoration with consideration for its potential use:
RUB 680 mln
53 km to Ryazan
249 km to Moscow